Monument record MDR12413 - Midland Counties Railway, Trent Junction to Leicester

Type and Period (1)

  • (Victorian - 1840 AD to 1840 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Construction work on the Midland Counties Railway commenced soon after the passing of the Bill on June 21 1836. The section between Trent Junction and Leicester was the second to be opened, on May 4 1840. This had three main obstacles, the first being the crossing of the Trent. This was done by means of an elegant three arched bridge built by the Butterley Company [SMR 22581]. Immediately following this was Redhill Tunnel and finally a substantial cutting was needed at Sutton Bonington [both in Leicestershire]. The line was quadrupled in 1900. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> *Internet Web Site: Wikipedia - free online encyclopedia. en.wikipedia.org. Site visited 09/08/2010.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 4910 3176 (1775m by 1995m)
Civil Parish LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 5 2017 4:46PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.