Site record MDR12415 - Erewash Valley Line, Trent Junction to Tupton (for Chesterfield), North East Derbyshire, Bolsover, Amber Valley and Erewash
Type and Period (1)
- RAILWAY (Victorian - 1844 AD to 1862 AD)
- None recorded
The Midland Railway built the Erewash Valley line as far as Pinxton in 1847, with a link to the Butterley Company's own railway at Codnor Park in 1849. The line was finally completed to Chesterfield in 1862. It was immediately successful, not only serving the collieries but also the ironworks and brickworks around Ripley, particularly the Butterley Company. By the end of the 19th century it was also carrying mainline expresses from London to Leeds. With the loss of heavy industry in the area, local traffic contracted massively; however, it still continues to be the second-busiest freight line in the East Midlands. (1)
- <1> SDR20570 *Internet Web Site: Wikipedia - free online encyclopedia. en.wikipedia.org. Site visited 11/08/2010.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4970 3255 (9709m by 32580m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 18 2022 2:43PM