Oval-shaped sandstone quarry abutting Walker's Lane, presumably opened up sometime between 1805 and 1882. It is c. 25m deep, c. 35m in length, c. 14m wide and cuts through the ridge and furrow earthworks. There are possible entrances to the quarry at its southern end and on the western margin, marked by a less severe gradient of the quarry walls. A certain amount of loose sandstone debris lies at the base of the quarry, although this is mostly congested with farm waste. The quarry may have been used for the supply of stone to build and/or repair the walls of Calke Park. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Marshall, G & Walker, J (The National Trust). 1988. The National Trust Archaeological Survey: Calke Abbey, Derbyshire, Volume 1, Estate Survey. p 182.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3556 2328 (39m by 36m)
TICKNALL, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 13 2011 4:18PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.