Skip to main content

Monument record MDR12430 - Former coach drive, Walker's Lane, Calke Park, Ticknall

Type and Period (2)

  • (Stuart to Georgian - 1700 AD? to 1805 AD)
  • (Stuart to Georgian - 1700 AD to 1800 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

Former coach drive to Calke Abbey from Ticknall, which fell out of use in 1805 when a new, straight road was laid out slightly to the east. The former drive is visible today as a slightly raised grass bank which begins in the vicinity of the west portal of the tramway tunnel, passing by the west bank of a former marl pit. Its starting point was originally slightly to the north of this, beginning at its junction with Ticknall Main Street in the Market Place and continuing along the edge of the later plantation. The raised grass bank is c. 9m wide and follows a slight upward gradient beyond the marl pit, continuing in a southerly direction via a series of straight sections between relatively sharp bends, suggesting that its alignment followed the boundaries of furlongs in Ticknall's South Field. The lane is traceable as a grass bank almost as far as Middle Lodge. Originally it passed beyond this point in front of Middle Lodge and across Littlewood Close towards Betty's Pond. Along certain sections of its length, evidence of a loose gravel surface can be seen. Just below the site of the later Middle Lodge, the drive in the early 18th century was lined by an avenue of trees. This descended in a south-easterly direction towards Betty's Pond before ascending again past a stone quarry to join the west avenue, all traces of which have now disappeared. It is best preserved along this southern ascending section, where the drive is evident as a raised 8.5m wide bank, flanked by mature oaks spaced about 10m apart, with about 15m between the two rows of oaks. Along much of the ascending section the drive is carried on an artificial embankment, built up to a height of between two and three metres. The descending section north of Betty's Pond is less well preserved - the alignment of the oaks is harder to trace and many have been cleared below the lodge, although a low bank to the east of the presernt drive marks the route of the former carriage drive. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Marshall, G & Walker, J (The National Trust). 1988. The National Trust Archaeological Survey: Calke Abbey, Derbyshire, Volume 1, Estate Survey. HER Doc. No. 632, p 142, p 185.



Grid reference Centred SK 3551 2347 (1271m by 1251m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR3714

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

May 1 2019 2:31PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.