In 1886 the first proposal was made by the then Mayor of Chesterfield, Alderman T P Wood, for the creation of a public park to mark Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee in 1887. Some 17 acres known as Maynard's Meadows to the south of the town was purchased, with a further 5 acres being bought in 1889. In the same year the site was enclosed by a stone wall. A scheme was drawn up by William Barron and Sons of Borrowash, Derbyshire, with curvilinear walks, a lake, cricket pitch and lawns or football pitch. Queen's Park was officially opened to the public on August 2 1893. A cricket pitch was constructed in 1893-4 while the assoicated pavilion was built in 1898. Late 19th century prk facilities included a bandstand, boating lake, cycle track and gymnasium; plans for public baths were not implemented. (1)
Bibliographic reference: English Heritage. Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England. Part 10, Derbyshire. Queen's Park.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.