A ruined former livestock enclosure used for sheltering sheep and cattle stands just outside the southern edge of the limeyards at Ticknall. It is described in a survey accompanying a plan of 1857 as 'Fold Yard & Buildings'. Remains of stone-built walls c. 50cm thick and standing to a height of about 60cm were still visible in 1987. These formed a rectangle 17m in length and 11.7m wide, interrupted at either end by a road or track running through the centre of the feature. Brick rubble found within and around the enclosure suggests that at some point there had been a building on the site. Maps of the 1830s and 1857 show what appear to be lean-to sheds against the north and west interior walls. Running along the east wall is a stream supplying a drinking trough which is a more recent addition. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Marshall, G & Walker, J (The National Trust). 1988. The National Trust Archaeological Survey: Calke Abbey, Derbyshire, Volume 1, Estate Survey. HER Doc. No. 632, p 191.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3613 2368 (15m by 23m)
TICKNALL, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 23 2015 12:44PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.