This service reservoir was constructed in 1866 as part of a water supply system bringing water from the base of the Pistern Hills to Calke Abbey. It comprises a rectangular chamber c. 10m long, c. 5m wide and c. 5m deep. The walls are built of Ticknall brick and lined with white glazed Swadlincote bricks. It is supported by a concrete outer skin and capped with a double-skinned brick vault penetrated at either end by stone-capped manhole covers. The interior is divided into two chambers, a larger storage tank with connecting overflow pipe, and a smaller filter tank originally filled with layers of coarse gravel, coarse sand and charcoal. The reservoir is no longer in use as such, and is visible on the ground as a raised turf-covered mound, fenced and planted with conifers. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Marshall, G & Walker, J (The National Trust). 1988. The National Trust Archaeological Survey: Calke Abbey, Derbyshire, Volume 1, Estate Survey. HER Doc. No. 632, p 194.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3638 2236 (24m by 23m)
CALKE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 13 2011 4:18PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.