Monument record MDR12438 - Quarry south of White Leys boundary wall, Calke Park, Ticknall
Type and Period (1)
- QUARRY (Georgian to Victorian - 1750 AD to 1850 AD)
This is a sandstone quarry on the northern edge of Calke Park, aligned north-south with a projecting arm to the east. The longest axis is 30m; it is 18m wide and up to 3m deep, although shallower at the ends to aid the removal of extracted stone. The date of extraction is unknown but was probably late 18th to early 19th century, supplying a source of stone for the park walls. This may be Castle Hill Pit, referred to in the Calke accounts for 1839 when payments were made for quarrying. (1)
- <1> SDR8879 Bibliographic reference: Marshall, G & Walker, J (The National Trust). 1988. The National Trust Archaeological Survey: Calke Abbey, Derbyshire, Volume 1, Estate Survey. HER Doc. N o. 632, p 176.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3701 2318 (19m by 31m)|
|Civil Parish||TICKNALL, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 26 2016 11:51AM