Monument record MDR12440 - Farmsteads (sites of), Calke village, Calke
Type and Period (2)
- SHRUNKEN VILLAGE (Medieval to Georgian - 1300 AD to 1800 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (Medieval to Georgian - 1300 AD to 1800 AD)
The origins of Calke village may go back to the 14th or 15th centuries, with its development probably having been a gradual process, as farms and labourers' dwellings became established towards the edge of the abbey estate. A 16th century tax return lists 18 individuals and it is suggested that away from the manor house there were six or seven tenanted farms and perhaps a number of small crofts worked by the labourers, probably the same crofts shown on a plan of 1761. This shows 13 farms with associated outbuildings and two houses with crofts only. In addition, Old House Close contained an uninhabited dwelling, probably one of the oldest in the village. The plan also shows a couple of empty crofts. The majority of the farm buildings and houses were concentrated on the site of the present village. The present Home Farm is depicted on the map, with Francis Ashmore's farm opposite. This was demolished sometime between 1790 and 1800. The largest farm in 1761, that of Thomas Howitt, lay to the south-east, in the croft to the south of Home Farm. Most of the buildings had disappeared by 1800, although the house remained until 1809 and in the following year a malthouse on or near to the site was constructed, probably to supply the brewhouse at the abbey. The map marks 'Owens yard' across the road to the west of Howitt's farm, and probably indicates the location of the dwelling place of Thomas Owin, listed in the Hearth Tax Return of 1662 as having two hearths. It is not known where within the 'yard' the house lay, whether within the croft to the south of Home Farm or further south. Ploughing in the croft occasionally brings building debris to the surface. Continuing further southward along Calke village street, one of the three dwelling sites shown in 1761 has disappeared. This stood opposite the Old Schoolhouse, and was tenanted at that time by Rebecca Bodice. The house was pulled down sometime around the mid 19th century. Slightly south of these three dwellings was a second group of four farms centred around a short lane. The only building on the west side of the road was tenanted in 1761 by John Shorthouse. The house was demolished in the early 19th century. (1)
- <1> SDR8879 Bibliographic reference: Marshall, G & Walker, J (The National Trust). 1988. The National Trust Archaeological Survey: Calke Abbey, Derbyshire, Volume 1, Estate Survey. HER Doc. No. 632.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3721 2219 (201m by 421m)|
|Civil Parish||CALKE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 26 2016 11:51AM