A headland and ridge and furrow were visible as earthworks at this location during a survey in 1987. The earthworks form part of the former field system in Calke parish. This area lies within Old House Close as shown on Wyatt's 1761 plan of Calke and may have previously belonged with the farm in this close, although uninhabited in 1761. The headland is particularly broad, up to 11 metres wide and c. 127 metres in length, aligned east-west across the corner of the present close. The alignment of the ridge and furrow bears little relation to that of the present close boundary, which it crosses beneath. Possibly medieval in origin, although likely to be post-medieval, this represents an important survival of ploughing on the edge of the parish. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Marshall, G & Walker, J (The National Trust). 1988. The National Trust Archaeological Survey: Calke Abbey, Derbyshire, Volume 1, Estate Survey. NT site no: 61,204; p. 208.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3732 2189 (159m by 160m)
CALKE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 26 2016 10:13AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.