A cluster of three dwellings are shown on a map of Southwood Common in 1820 - one of these survives as Heath Farm; however the other two had disappeared by the late 1870s as they are not marked on the 1st ed. 25" OS map of c. 1880. In 1820 they were occupied by William Swann and George Higgins. They may originally have formed a small squatter settlement on the common, not shown on a sketch map of 1775, but responsible for creating the cluster of irregular closes on badly drained land at the foot of the scarp slope. Swann farmed six of these small closes, while Higgins simply had his tenement, garden and orchard. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Marshall, G & Walker, J (The National Trust). 1988. The National Trust Archaeological Survey: Calke Abbey, Derbyshire, Volume 1, Estate Survey. HER Doc. No. 632, pp 64-65, Fig. 13.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3533 2102 (55m by 61m)
TICKNALL, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 23 2015 12:45PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.