Building record MDR12457 - Methodist Chapel, Ridgeway Moor, Ridgeway, Eckington

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

The 1st ed. 25" OS map shows this building as 'Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan)', sitting within a roughly square burial ground. (1) The Methodist Chapel was the first place of worship to be erected in Ridgeway village in 1806. The site, known as 'The Acre', was acquired from the Sitwell family. The building was of local stone, nearly square in shape and with two large plain-glass windows on each side, the end and the front. From the inception it had a spacious burial ground. A porch was erected in 1901. (2)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Fox, W. 1950. Ridgeway Village and its Industries.
  • <3> Unpublished document: 1986-7. Moss Valley Archaeological Survey Record Sheets. 452, with photo.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 4016 8104 (20m by 12m)
Civil Parish ECKINGTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jun 16 2022 11:21AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.