Building record MDR12458 - Methodist Sunday School, Ridgeway Moor, Ridgeway, Eckington

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The Wesleyan Sunday School was erected in 1823. As recorded on the façade, it was erected by subscription and was to be open "on every Lord's Day for ever, for the charitable and gratuitous instruction of poor children of every sect and denomination …". During week-days the premises were used as a day school. In 1870 the day school was managed by the newly constituted Eckington School Board until the County School was opened in 1874. In the evenings the premises were also used as a Mechanic's Institute, with a library of some 300 volumes. (1) Original pre-1855 school building still used as a Sunday School and a day centre. Comparison of historic maps with modern maps indicates that the building has been extended to the south. (2)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Fox, W. 1950. Ridgeway Village and its Industries.
  • <2> Unpublished document: 1986-7. Moss Valley Archaeological Survey Record Sheets. 479, with photo.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 4020 8131 (11m by 18m)
Civil Parish ECKINGTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Oct 25 2010 8:41AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.