The 1st ed. 25" OS map of c. 1880 shows the road approaching the River Derwent and Borrowash Mills from the south in a more northerly route than the present road, with the bridge across the river lying to the west of the present bridge. (1)
The new bridge [see SMR 23802] was opened in 1899. Traces of the road to the old bridge are visible in the grounds of 'Riverside House'. (2)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash. p 35.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4144 3395 (181m by 472m)
ELVASTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 24 2014 11:34AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.