Farmhouse with origins in the 15th century, encased in the late 17th century and in 1712, restored in c1980. The building has a cruck frame, encased to the front with coursed squared stone and to the rear with box timber framing. The roof has 20th century concrete tiles with concrete coped gables on plain kneelers, brick gable stacks and a rebuilt brick ridge stack. The house is two storeys high, of four bays, with a lobby entrance plan. The off-centre doorcase on the south front has a lintel inscribed 'SM 1712'. The interior has three full cruck trusses with cambered ties, that to centre with large arched braces to collar (carbon dated to c1450) and a smoke blackened soffit. There is a substantial timber stud partition to the ground floor of the eastern truss. The central room has a large ingle-nook with a chamfered bressummer, a bracketed stone fireplace and a brick flue probably inserted in 1712. (1)
The listed building description states that samples from one of the cruck trusses was carbon dated to 1450, although it does not give the processing laboratory or any other information. Such a date is very much in keeping with the architectural style of this form of truss, it being a common design of the mid-15th century. Further tree ring analysis of a total of eight samples from the three cruck trusses at this site resulted in the production of two site chronologies. The earlier gives the timbers of the arch-braced truss a felling range of 1435 to 1470, with a likely felling date of c. 1450. The later chronology shows that the timbers of truss 1 were felled between late 1616 and early 1617. The latter date was unexpected and indicates that there was some rebuilding or alteration in 1616/17 or soon afterwards. (2)
Stone built around a timber frame house, containing two pairs of crucks. The owner has preserved a pannel of wattle and daub near the front door. (3)
Crowtrees Farm, Heage, a circa 1500 open hall building. Originally open hall, parlour and service or byre lower end. Front and north gable cased in stone in 1712. Framing on west wall may or may not be original. (4)
Vernacular building dated to 1712 indicated by datestone. It fronts onto a cruck building. (5)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1335424.
Unpublished document: Nottingham University Tree-Ring Dating Laboratory. Dendro Sample Record and Summary. Report 97/02, February 1997.
Unpublished document: Judge, T (Ripley Historical Group). 1993. Some places of interest in Heage Village.
Index: Evans, R. 1976. Some dated vernacular buildings in Derbyshire.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3744 5052 (19m by 10m)
RIPLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 11 2015 1:31PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.