This is a farm outbuilding of late 16th century or earlier date, substantially remodelled and extended in the 19th century and altered in the 20th century. It is an 'L'-shaped building constructed of coursed rubble Coal Measures sandstone with ashlar quoins and has a corrugated sheet roof covering. The interior contains one full height cruck truss with collar and tie beams supporting single side purlins and a diagonally-set ridge purlin. There also survives at purlin level the remains of a smoke hood. The building is thought to have originally been a small 2 bay house of timber framed construction and is a significant survival in an area where stone-built vernacular predominates. (1)
A total of eleven samples from timbers in this building were analysed for tree ring dating. Seven could be dated, with five giving felling dates between 1623 and 1626 and the other two, which had been re-used, dating from the 15th century. (2)
Evidence from Google Street View indicates that this building has now been converted into a dwelling. (3)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. 4/3076/10004.
Unpublished document: Nottingham University Tree-Ring Dating Laboratory. Dendro Sample Record and Summary. Initial Report, 21 July 1995.
*Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 26/10/2010.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3081 7690 (11m by 19m)
HOLMESFIELD, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 26 2010 5:16PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.