A Gas Works is shown on the 1st ed. 25" OS map of c. 1880 at the corner of Bullbridge Hill and Drovers Way, with several buildings and a single gasometer being depicted. (1)
By the end of the 19th century the site had extended eastwards, with the construction of a second, slighly larger, gasometer. (2)
The Gas Works was owned by 'The Ambergate, Crich, Bull Bridge and Fritchley Gas Light and Coke Co.' Hamilton House (no 4 Bullbridge Hill) was probably the manager's house. It has large wooden entrance gates and a high brick wall on two sides (partly displaced and rebuilt to give a better sight-line up Bullbridge Hill). (3)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Unpublished document: Raphael, F (Bullbridge and Sawmills Area Civic Society). 2009. An Appraisal of the Bullbridge and Sawmills Area.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3585 5227 (62m by 76m)
RIPLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 17 2019 2:32PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.