This church was built in 1828-9 by G E Hamilton, with the chancel completed by R R Duke in 1877. It was partly rebuilt in 1950-2 after war damage. It is built of coursed squared limestone with gritstone dressings and rock-faced quoins. It has slate roofs, and ridgeback copings to the gable walls. There is a three-stage embattled western tower, an aisle-less nave, a small north vestry and a narrow single bay chancel. There is a wide, pointed south door to the tower, with deeply recessed continuous moulding. Above is a four centred arched window, with cavetto architrave and moulded dripmould over. There is a modern clock faced just above. The third stage has a similar, but wider, opening to the window below, with louvres. There are similar bell openings to all but the east side of the tower. A large west window has cusped panel tracery and four centred arched top. There are embattled parapets to the tower. The south nave wall has three pointed windows with chamfered Y-tracery. There is a small pointed single light window to the chancel, and a twin lancet east window. Above the chancel, on the nave gable, is a plaque inscribed: 'Built AD 1823. Restored AD 1877'. The north wall has two four centred arched windows with dripmoulds. The interior was completely rebuilt in the 1950s. There is a crude stone font with vertical bands in relief that probably dates to the 12th century. (1)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Ref: 80504.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.