The Public Elementary School, with a house for the master and Mistress, was erected in 1898 for 600 children. The average attendance in 1912 was 180 boys, 160 girls and 290 infants. (1)
There is a commemorative stone set within the building, inscribed as follows: 'St LAWRENCE'S / PUBLIC ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS / TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN THE / CAUSE OF CHRISTIAN EDUCATION / THIS STONE / WAS LAID BY THE / VI DUKE OF PORTLAND / MARCH 13TH 1897'. The former school building standing on Portland Street is currently  in use as a Community Centre; the building to the rear is the Library and Information Centre. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Kelly, A L (ed.). 1912. Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire. p 434.
*Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 04/11/2010.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 5291 7665 (57m by 55m)
WHITWELL, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2017 4:32PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.