Building record MDR12485 - The Jug and Glass Public House, Portland Street, Whitwell
Type and Period (2)
- PUBLIC HOUSE (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
- INN (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The Jug and Glass was in existence by 1857, at which date the landlord was William Tinker. (1) The building is shown as a Public House on the 1st ed. 25" OS map, but as an Inn on the 2nd edition. (2, 3) The earliest mention of the inn is in 1828 when Robert Wood was the landlord, followed in 1835 by Robert Leggat, who was also a blacksmith. William Tinker, a carpenter from Rotherham, took over in 1845. (4)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 788.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR21042 *Internet Web Site: Whitwell Local History Group. 'Part 13: Inns and Institutes'. www.wlhg.co.uk. Website viewed 04/11/2010.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 5284 7662 (17m by 21m)|
|Civil Parish||WHITWELL, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2017 4:32PM