Monument record MDR12499 - Hollingwood Lock and Tunnel, Chesterfield Canal, Staveley

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

A diversion of the Chesterfield Canal at Staveley Ironworks was opened in 1892, part of which included a new lock, named Hollingwood Lock. This was a traditional lock built in engineers blue brick with stone sills, copings and gate pivot and anchor points. By the 1930s the canal had been reduced to the status of a water supply for Staveley Works. The lock chamber had its gates removed and was partially infilled and capped with concrete to create a dam and weir. However, a long term project to restore the canal to navigation has seen the restoration of the lock. The weir and infill was removed in 1995 and new lock gates were installed. Hollingwood Lock is now fully functional and is in regular use. (1) During dredging operations in 1991, the Hollingwood Common Canal tunnel which was thought to be lost was identified. The tunnel is underground adjactent to the Cromford Canal, but below Hollingwood Lock. Attempts have been made to access the site. (2)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Correspondence: Ayling, K (Chesterfield Canal Society). 1991. Chesterfield Canal Society correspondence, 24 April 1991.
  • <1> Unpublished document: Coles, G (Chesterfield Canal Partnership). 2010. Hollingwood Lock House: Lock House and Staveley Works Station Photographic Surveys. HER Doc. No. 1348.



Grid reference Centred SK 4157 7462 (58m by 16m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR2851

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Oct 5 2017 2:27PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.