The Wesleyans and the Wesleyan Reformers each have chapels in Baslow. (1)
The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel in Baslow capable of seating 200 persons. (2)
Formerly a chapel; now a house. It was built in 1795 of coursed squared sandstone, with sandstone dressings. It has a hipped Welsh slate roof, and flush angle quoins. The first and second floor have sill bands and a moulded cornice. It is of two storeys. The three-bay south elevation has a central doorway, with a segmental arch and projecting keystone. It also has ashlar quoins and voussoirs, and a pair of panelled doors, with an overlight. The doorway is flanked by 20th century casements in plain ashlar surrounds, and there are three similar but smaller windows above. (3)
It appears that this chapel was the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel referred to in sources 1 and 2. See SMR 15862 for the Wesleyan Reform Methodist Chapel, which appears to have fallen out of use by the 2nd edition OS map. (4)
Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 494.
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 321.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Ref: 81592.
Personal Observation: Manning, N. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2548 7248 (13m by 18m)
BASLOW AND BUBNELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 1 2016 10:16AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.