Building record MDR12506 - Former Methodist Chapel, Sir William Hill Road, Grindleford
Type and Period (1)
- WESLEYAN REFORM UNION CHAPEL (Hanoverian - 1831 AD to 1831 AD)
- None recorded
There is a Wesleyan Reform Methodist Chapel within this area on the 1st and 2nd edition OS maps. These maps appear to be indicating this particular building, although this is not certain. (1, 2) The Wesleyan Reform Union has a chapel capable of accommodating 80 in Grindleford. It was built in 1831. (3) A larger Methodist Chapel was built and opened in 1905, to replace this earlier, smaller chapel (see SMR 5521). (4) If the early historic maps are in fact labelling this particular building as the Methodist Chapel, then it appears to still be extant and in use as a private residence . (5)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 379.
- <4> SDR21060 *Internet Web Site: Jacques, A. 1999. Grindleford. http://www.wishful-thinking.org.uk/genuki/DBY/Grindleford/Grindleford.html.
- <5> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2421 7780 (11m by 12m)|
|Civil Parish||GRINDLEFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 30 2013 3:48PM