Building record MDR12532 - Langwith Bassett Community Primary School, Upper Langwith, Scarcliffe

Type and Period (1)

  • (Edwardian to Early 20th Century - 1907 AD to 1924 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

In 1924 the architect George Henry Widdows designed two single classroom verandah-style extensions to an earlier, Victorian, school. The school is constructed of red brick with red tiled roofs. (1) The school is not shown on the 2nd ed. 25" OS map of 1898. (2). In the entry for Upper Langwith, Kelly's Directory of 1912 refers to a 'Council School (mixed), for 200 children, opened in 1907' - this is presumably what is now the Langwith Bassett Community Primary school. (3)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Unpublished document: Morrison, A B. 2004. Surviving Widdows Buildings in Derbyshire.
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XXVI-12, 1898.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Kelly, A L (ed.). 1912. Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire. p 325.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 5226 6921 (42m by 45m)
Civil Parish SCARCLIFFE, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jun 12 2017 4:32PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.