Building record MDR12533 - The New Mills School, Church Lane, New Mills

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

The New Mills Secondary School was constructed in 1912 and designed by the architect George Henry Widdows. It is identical to Ilkeston School in that it has a large square quadrangular plan with a domed central hall linked by covered walks to the four sides. It is constructed of random rubble gritstone with ashlar dressings, green slate roofs, some leaded lights, and mostly original timber windows. The central domed hall is of reinforced concrete with stained glass windows. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Unpublished document: Morrison, A B. 2004. Surviving Widdows Buildings in Derbyshire.

Map

No mapped location recorded.

Location

Grid reference Not recorded
Civil Parish NEW MILLS, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Nov 29 2010 4:46PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.