Building record MDR12535 - Dronfield Baptist Church, High Street, Dronfield
Type and Period (2)
- BAPTIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1871 AD to 1871 AD)
- BAPTIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1853 AD to 1853 AD)
- None recorded
According to White's Directory, the General Baptist Chapel in Dronfield, erected in 1853, at a cost of £130, raised by subscription, is a neat stone building, with seats for 150 hearers, of which 100 are free. (1) According to Bulmer's Directory, the Baptist Chapel, built in 1871, at a cost of £1,400, is a spacious stone building, with sitting accommodation for 450. The pulpit was presented by Mr G Poplar, in memory of his wife. It is a handsome piece of carving, by Advent Unstone, of Tideswell, representing scenes from the life of Christ. (2) A Baptist Chapel appears on High Street, Dronfield on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880, with an Infants School to the rear. (3) It appears that the Baptist Chapel was originally built in 1853, and was later rebuilt on a larger scale in 1871. (4) The building appears to still be in use as a place of worship . (5)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 738.
- <2> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 229.
- <3> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20769 Personal Observation: Manning, N. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
- <5> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3492 7854 (34m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||DRONFIELD, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 24 2015 11:13AM