Building record MDR12548 - Old Chapel, Lees Road, Stanton in the Peak

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

A Wesleyan Chapel that was built in 1829, with a 20th century addition and alterations. It is built of coursed squared gritstone, rock-faced to addition, with gritstone dressings and chamfered quoins. It has plain tile roofs with stone coped gables and moulded kneelers. It is of two bays by three bays, with the addition to the north-east corner. There is a central semi-circular headed reeded doorcase, with a fluted keystone. It has a 20th century studded wooden door and a plain fanlight. To either side, there are tall semi-circular headed windows with early 20th century coloured glass. Above is a pedimented gable and oval plaque inscribed 'WESLEYAN REFORM CHAPEL 1829', with a thin ventilation hole over. The rear elevation has semi-circular headed windows and a circular opening in the gable. Attached to the west side of the front fa├žade is a low wall with chamfered copings and elaborate iron railings. The wall and railings continue round the front of the building, stepping upwards to the east. The stone gate piers have cut away corners. There is a central gate with scrolled lantern arch over. (1) It is not shown as a place of worship on modern OS mapping [2010]. (2)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Ref: 81046.
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 2437 6409 (23m by 21m)
Civil Parish STANTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jun 15 2015 1:01PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.