Listed Building record MDR12549 - Holy Trinity Church, Lees Road, Stanton in the Peak
Type and Period (1)
- PARISH CHURCH (Victorian - 1838 AD to 1838 AD)
Protected Status/Designation
Full Description
A parish church that was built in 1838 for William Pole Thornhill. It is built of tooled, coursed squared gritstone with gritstone dressings, and has plain tile roofs, with moulded copings and a ridge cross to the chancel. It has been built in the Early English style, and comprises west steeple with nave, north and south transeptal chapels and a lower chancel. The two-stage western tower has a recessed octagonal spire, and a double-chamfered pointed western doorcase, with a heavy flat hoodmould and stepped diagonal buttresses either side. Above the door is a coat of arms of the Thornhill family with the date, 1838, inscribed below. The north and south nave elevations are identical, with central transept chapels with four-light intersecting tracery windows under heavy flat hoodmoulds and diagonal corner buttresses. The interior has a wide chamfered doorcase to the nave and similar large arches to the chancel and transept chapels. It was constituted a parish church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, and consecrated with the adjoining cemetery by the Right Rev George Selwyn, DD, Bishop of Lichfield on 29 September 1875. 'The Rev Arthur Wolfe Hamilton MA was appointed the first vicar of Stanton and Rowtor Chapel'. There is a holy water stoup, Italian, and dated 1596 within the church. (1)
Sources/Archives (1)
- <1> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Ref: 81059.
Map
Location
Grid reference | Centred SK 2412 6426 (16m by 24m) |
---|---|
Civil Parish | STANTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE |
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 12 2023 7:42PM