The small mill house associated with the Cat & Fiddle Windmill stands to the south of the windmill mound. It is probably small because the mill has always been held by tenant millers. The house consists of two rooms downstairs, a living room and a parlour. Between these two rooms a flight of stairs leads up from the original 'front' door, which faces the mill, to serve two bedrooms. A small lean-to with weatherboarded walls is attached to the mill side of the house. This is entered through the present front door, which leads into a passage separating the kitchen from the bathroom. The drainage from the house, washhouse and ktichen is taken to a cess pit sited in the field by the path, to the east of the house. One distinctive feature in the house is the wooden casting pattern for the windshaft of the mill, which has been used as a main beam supporting the ceiling of the living room. (1)
According to the listed building description, the house was substantially rebuilt in 1983. It is constructed of red brick with a plain tile roof and brick gable stacks. The rear part is entirely modern. (2)
Unpublished document: Major, J & Watts, M. 1981. Dale Abbey Mill, Derbyshire. HER Doc. No. 1359.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. 8/4339/013.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4381 3976 (12m by 13m)
DALE ABBEY, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 18 2015 3:49PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.