The Church of the Holy Trinity by Newton was constructed in c.1844 with a single storey vestry to the west added in c.1925. It is built of coursed ashlar stone and consists of a nave and a chancel under one gabled roof covered with concrete tiles. All elevations have a castellated parapet with string course beneath, a projecting plinth at mid-height and buttresses to all corners. There are large rectangular, tripartite principal windows on all elevations with geometric tracery and drip mouldings, all with diamond leaded lights apart from the east end which has contemporary stained glass. The vestry on the west elevation obscures the original door to the church. It has a central arched door opening with coped pediment incorporating a simple stone crucifix finial. The central window to the nave has slender flanking niches and a clock above. A bellcote surmounts the roof at the west apex. At ground floor level on the south elevation is a smaller tripartite window and pointed arched door. On the north elevation, the door is replaced by a window. The chancel window is the focus of the east elevation. The interior was not inspected, but photographic and documentary sources indicate that the roof structure comprises six queen post trusses with tie beams, wall posts and brackets and two purlins to each pitch. The chancel has a central altar flanked by a small lady chapel to the south, surrounded by a timber screen, and organ to the north. The screen between the chancel and nave has geometric detailing. The nave retains its pews. Middleton-by-Wirksworth is a hilltop mining and quarrying village in the Peak District, surrounded by the scars of industry. The church lies to the south of the village core in a prominent position and is surrounded by a small graveyard. The OS maps of the late 19th century and early 20th century indicate that the building was unaltered until a single storey vestry was added to the west in c. 1925. (1)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Ref: 79718.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2784 5573 (24m by 19m)
MIDDLETON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.