(Victorian to Early 20th Century - 1896 AD to 1921 AD)
Loading documents & images
The Independents have a chapel at Middleton, erected by Captain Scott, during the time he resided at Matlock Bath. (1)
There is an Independent Methodist Chapel and associated burial ground (see SMR 33009) situated here on the 1st edition OS map. (2)
The Congregational (formerly Independent) Chapel was built in 1785, and for 50 years was the only place of worship in the village. It was established by Captain Scott, evangelist, under the auspices of Lady Glenorchy, then a visitor to Matlock Bath. The black oak pulpit was formerly in the chapel of the celebrated Dr Doddridge, at Northampton. (3)
By the 3rd edition OS map there is an attached Sunday School. (4)
The building still appears to be in use as a chapel . (5)
Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 463.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 437.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2782 5602 (33m by 18m)
MIDDLETON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.