St John's Chapel is a massive stone building, consisting of a semi-circular chancel, spacious nave, with two aisles, and a west tower containing a clock and one bell. It was erected by Francis Wright, and was opened in 1871 as the Ashbourne Free Church of England. (1)
A church that was built in the 1860s. It has been built in the Norman style, and has rusticated masonry. The tower is prominent in the town scene. The interior has barrel vaulting, and the nave and aisles are divided by round-headed arches supported on slender cast iron pillars, with capitals, bands and plinths. The east end has similar engaged pillars. All the listed buildings on the East Side of Buxton Road form a group at the north entrance to Ashbourne. (2)
St John's Church was built in 1871 to accommodate a congregation that had spilt off from that at St Oswald's church (SMR 306). It has interior pillars of cast iron. It was built by Francis Wright of Osmaston Manor, who was a director of the Butterley Company ironworks and who provided the ironwork for St Pancras Station in London. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. pp 280-1.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1279720, Old Ref: 79800.
Bibliographic reference: I A H Combes. 2004. Anglican Churches of Derbyshire. p 20.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1802 4696 (34m by 31m)
ASHBOURNE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 16 2016 2:01PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.