There is a Roman Catholic Chapel sitauted here on the 1st edition OS map. (1)
The Catholics at Ashbourne were without any recognised place of worship from the Reformation until 1814. The present church, rebuilt in 1887, is a neat structure of brick in the Gothic style, occupying an elevated situation at Belle Vue. The ground on which the church and adjoining presbytery are built was given by John, Earl of Shrewsbury, and in 1877 'a plot of land in Ashbourne was freely granted to the Right Rev Edward Gilpin Bagshaw, Bishop of Nottingham', and other trustees, by John Joseph Shuttleworth, of Bath, Esq., and Helen Catherine, his wife, for the benefit of the Catholic religion in Ashbourne. The church will seat 120. (2)
It still appears to be in use as a place of worship . (3)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 281.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1772 4664 (15m by 13m)
ASHBOURNE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 16 2016 2:01PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.