Skip to main content

Listed Building record MDR12586 - Holy Trinity Church, Church View, Clifton, Clifton and Crompton

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

The Church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was erected in 1845, at the cost of upwards of £1,200 raised chiefly by subscriptions through the exertions of the Rev. Samuel Shipley, the then vicar of Ashbourne, Philip Cupiss, Esq., and William Smith, Esq., aided by grants from the Incorporated and Diocesan Societies. It consists of a nave, south porch, and vestry, and has a stone pulpit, semi-hexagonal in form, resting upon a low inverted pyramid; at the west gable, an octagonal turret, with one bell, and at the east, a floriated cross, with a high pitched roof, covered with Newcastle tiles; the style being a transition from early English to the decorated. The church has been enclosed by a stone wall, and the village greatly improved by the taking down some old buildings which obstructed the view of it on the south. (1) A Parish Church dating to 1845 by Henry Stevens of Derby. The apse and bell turret were built in 1868 by Slater & Carpenter. The church is built of coursed squared rock faced sandstone with sandstone dressings. It also has banded plain and fishscale tile roofs. It has stone coped gables, a cross finial and an octagonal corbelled out bell turret, with a pyramid roof, on the west gable. There is a nave and south porch, two north vestries and a chancel with a canted apse. The gabled south porch has diagonal buttresses and an entrance with two orders of shafts and a moulded arch. The double-chamfered south doorway has a plank door with scrolled iron hinges. The nave has an open arch-braced collar roof. There is a double-chamfered chancel arch on rich foliage capitals and shafts with shaft rings on corbels. The chancel has a richly tiled floor and mosaic dado. There is stained glass in the three apse windows, c.1882 by Clayton & Bell. There is also stained glass in most other windows; the middle one on the south side of the nave and the east one on the north side of the nave are of 1868 by Cox & Son of London. The stone pulpit has blind trefoiled arcading. There is an octagonal stone font with bold trefoil motifs on the bowl, standing on a quatrefoil base of a cluster of filleted shafts. There is also a Royal coat of arms dated 1926. (2)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 397.
  • <2> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Ref: 81379.



Grid reference Centred SK 1655 4481 (22m by 25m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Nov 7 2023 2:53PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.