A church, dedicated to Christ, was erected here in 1837. It is a plain Gothic building with an embattled tower at the west end containing one bell. Some of the windows are stained glass, memorials of members of the Borough family. (1)
A grade II listed church, which was built in 1837-38 by John Mason of Derby. It is built of gritstone ashlar with red sandstone dressings. It comprises a three bay nave, with a short projecting chancel (possibly a slightly later addition) and a projecting west tower with battlements. There are single lancets in the tower, and a chancel east window with intersecting tracery. All other windows have Y tracery. The church includes a good original interior. It has a flat plaster ceiling. It also has box pews, a pulpit and attached reading desk, and a west gallery supported by two iron columns. Later fittings include a large and heavy High Victorian font and good stained glass of 1863 in the chancel. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. pp 392-3.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Ref: 80076.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2491 4742 (22m by 12m)
HULLAND, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 28 2013 11:29AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.