Building record MDR12614 - Methodist Church, Warmbrook, Wirksworth
Type and Period (1)
- UNITED METHODIST FREE CHAPEL (Victorian - 1883 AD to 1886 AD)
- None recorded
There is a United Methodist Free Chapel situated here on the 2nd edition OS map. (1) The United Methodist Free Church was built in 1885-6, at a cost of £1,500 raised by public subscription, chiefly through the self-sacrificing efforts of Mrs Potter. Under the chapel is the schoolroom, capable of holding 300 children. (2) The United Methodists have a chapel in St John's Street, which was erected in 1886, and has 300 sittings. (3) 'The Follies' congregation [see SMR 28372] moved to the 'Adam Bede' church just up the road, which had been erected in 1883. The 'Bede' closed in 1950, and re-opened in 1970, when the 'Dale' [see SMR 28362], 'Bede' and 'Ebenezer' [see SMR 28364] branches of Methodism, which had united under one roof, transferred from the Dale. The chapel was built at the height of 19th century Gothic Revivalism. It was renovated for its re-opening in 1970, which transformed the interior, but left the exterior largely intact. It is built of rustic-cut sandstone blocks, backed with brick, and has a tile roof. The sides and back remain plain, whilst the west-facing frontage is heavily decorated. The gothic arched door has deep mouldings and is surmounted by another arch of rustic-cut blocks. Above this is a huge bulls-eye window of an eight-petalled flower design. These central features are flanked by two simulated turrets with conical tops, one of which has lost its finial. The interior of the chapel has little in common with its original condition. The three roof trusses, apart from their seating on stone corbels, are completely obscured by the pine boarding and now form part of the box-like indentations in the ceiling. Despite various alterations, the interior maintains some links with the past; the original pews have been re-used, the pulpit rebuilt from the original timbers, and on the landing stands the pulpit from 'The Follies' chapel, which reputedly was used by Elizabeth Evans. (4) The building still appears to be in use as a place of worship . (5)
- <1> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 493.
- <3> SDR21041 Bibliographic reference: Kelly, A L (ed.). 1912. Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire. p 441.
- <4> SDR21105 Unpublished document: Simpson, R W. 1981. The Nineteenth Century Chapels of Wirksworth: An Aspect of Vernacular Architecture. pp 9, 11, 13, 68-76.
- <5> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2869 5376 (17m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||WIRKSWORTH, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 22 2018 10:03AM