The Wesleyan Reformers Chapel, in Warmbrook, was originally in possession of the old body, but was claimed by the Reformers, when they seceded from them. It is a small stone building. (1)
There is a United Methodist Free Chapel in Warmbrook on the 1st edition OS map. (2)
By the 2nd edition OS map, the United Methodist Free Chapel has moved further to the north (see SMR 28367), and the original building is no longer in use as a place of worship. (3)
By the 3rd edition OS map, the area has been reorganised, with the addition of Canterbury Road, at which time the original building appears to have either been demolished, or incorporated in to the new buildings. (4)
The Warmbrook Methodist Group acquired property at 'The Follies' on the corner of Warmbrook and Water Lane, and opened their chapel in 1835. The site is now occupied by a pair of semi-detached houses . Elizabeth Evans, the aunt of George Elliot and the inspiration for her novel Adam Bede, regularly preached at this chapel. It was rebuilt in 1856, but was closed in 1887 and sold to William and Jane Jellyman, coachbuilders. It seems likely that part of this building is incorporated in the present houses. 'The Follies' congregation moved to the 'Adam Bede' church, just up the road [see SMR 28367]. No evidence as to the appearance of these chapels has been found. However, a recent extension to 'Folly Corner', one of the pair of semi's that now occupies the site, revealed a gable of hand cut sandstone blocks beneath the wet dash finish. The blocks may well have come from elsewhere, but it seems possible that they may have formed part of the previous buildings. (5)
There are still two semi-detached houses on this site . (6-7)
Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 452.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
Unpublished document: Simpson, R W. 1981. The Nineteenth Century Chapels of Wirksworth: An Aspect of Vernacular Architecture. pp 9, 12, 20.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
*Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 15/04/2011.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2865 5364 (19m by 23m)
WIRKSWORTH, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 14 2017 4:28PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.