Monument record MDR12625 - Terraces and probable Methodist Chapel (site of), The Dale, Wirthsworth
Type and Period (2)
- METHODIST CHAPEL ? (Tudor to Victorian - 1540 AD to 1882 AD)
- TERRACE (Tudor to Victorian - 1540 AD to 1882 AD)
- None recorded
The Free Gospellers Chapel, in the Dale, originally an old building, was converted into a chapel about two years ago, at a cost of £100. (1) There are a couple of terraces situated here on the 1st edition OS map, one of which is likely to have included the Reformed Methodist Chapel labelled on the 1st edition OS map. This may be the same chapel that is mentioned by White (1857). (2) The chapel is no longer marked on the 2nd edition OS map, but the terraces remain in tact. (3) For a short period around 1855, The Free Gospellers occupied facilities in a dwelling house in the Dale. (4) The terraces are no longer extant on modern OS mapping, and the area appears to now be used for car parking . (5)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 452.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR21105 Unpublished document: Simpson, R W. 1981. The Nineteenth Century Chapels of Wirksworth: An Aspect of Vernacular Architecture. p 13.
- <5> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2850 5413 (32m by 61m)|
|Civil Parish||WIRKSWORTH, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 14 2017 4:28PM