Building record MDR12628 - All Saints' Church, Smedley Street, Matlock Bank, Matlock Town
Type and Period (1)
- ANGLICAN CHURCH (Victorian to Mid 20th Century - 1884 AD to 1958 AD)
A church, dedicated to All Saints, was erected in 1884. It is a handsome structure, in the Early English style of architecture, and consists of chancel, nave, with north and south aisles, and south porch. A tower will be added at some future time, and up to the present upwards of £5,000 has been spent on the edifice. It possesses two beautiful pictorial windows, one of which is inscribed 'Lead Kindly Light', and the other 'Till the Night is gone'. The organ, a very fine instrument, was present in 1886 by Joseph Cole, Esq., of Stockport, who also gave the pulpit. All seats are free. (1) A grade II listed church that was built in 1884. The architect was Healey. It is built of stone, in the Early English Gothic style. It comprises nave, aisles, chancel and south chapel. The east window has stained glass by Morris & Co, dating to 1905. (2) The choir, to a design by T H and F Healey, was completed in 1884, along with part of the nave. However, lack of funds led to the church being finished in a truncated and hasty manner. The entrance hall, baptistery and gallery were designed by C H Porter and added in 1958. The glass at the east end is by Morris & Co to a design by Burne-Jones and the 1935 oak parclose screens around the choir stalls are by Advent Hunstone. (3)
- <1> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 418.
- <2> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Ref: 429660.
- <3> SDR20951 Bibliographic reference: I A H Combes. 2004. Anglican Churches of Derbyshire. p 119.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2984 6083 (30m by 23m)|
|Civil Parish||MATLOCK TOWN, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 10 2022 1:25PM