Monument record MDR12632 - Congregational Chapel (site of), Chesterfield Road, Matlock Town
Type and Period (1)
- CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL (Victorian - 1865 AD to 1866 AD)
There is a Congregational Chapel situated here on the 1st edition OS map. (1) The Congregational Church at Matlock Bank is a handsome cruciform building, with a tower, and is capable of seating 700 persons. The total cost, including the manse, was £5,230. The site was given by Thomas Stevens, Esq., Cambrian House, and the spire was built at the expense of the late Frederick Stevens. In connection with this church is a British School, held in the old chapel. (2) The Congregational church at Matlock Bank, built in 1865 has 550 sittings. It has an attached Sunday School, which was erected in 1902 (see SMR 10095). (3) The first Congregational Chapel was founded on Matlock Green in 1842, with sittings for 200. The Congregationalists later built a chapel on Chesterfield Road, at the corner of Smedley Street, that had sittings for 500 people. It became the principal chapel, and the two shared a minister. A Northampton architect, W. Hull, was responsible for the design of the Chesterfield Road chapel. It cost about £2500, mostly given by church members. The foundation stone of the new church was laid on 4 May 1865 by James Sidebottom of Manchester, and the opening services took place on 6 June, 1866. The church had been built in the Gothic style and had a tower and a spire. In common with several other Matlock churches it was described as being 'on an eminence, commanding a beautiful and extensive prospect'. There was a large stained glass window, underneath which was inscribed 'Presented by Mrs. Hannah Cowen, 1866, in memory of beloved friends'. There was a carved oak pulpit and the Sunday school children gave a Bible and Hymn book. At one end there was a gallery, supported by iron pillars. The building was 'heated with hot air' and lit by chandeliers. It was registered for marriages on 20 August 1867. A Sunday school was built at the junction of Smedley Street and Chesterfield Road, following an appeal for funds in 1901 (see SMR 10095). The church roof caught fire on 23 August 1969 and the building had to be demolished, at a cost of £450. The schoolroom was registered for solemnizing marriages on 18 March 1971 and the certification granted to the former church was cancelled at the same time. On 3 September 1971 the small Sanctuary was re-dedicated for Worship. On 5 Oct 1972 the Congregational Church and the United Reformed Church merged. In November 1990 the Congregationalist and United Reformed worshippers finally vacated the site. They linked with the Trinity Methodist Church on Bank Road to become the Matlock Methodist and United Reformed Church (see SMR 10092). The memorials were also moved to the Trinity Methodist site, some moving for the second time. The War Memorial was transferred to St Giles' Church (see SMR 10020). (4)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. pp 418-9.
- <3> SDR21041 Bibliographic reference: Kelly, A L (ed.). 1912. Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire. p 333.
- <4> SDR21079 *Internet Web Site: Andrews, A. 1996-2011. Matlock's Churches and Chapels. http://ds.dial.pipex.com/town/terrace/pd65/matlock/churches.htm#oth. Webpage viewed 11/02/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3038 6041 (39m by 60m)|
|Civil Parish||MATLOCK TOWN, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 10 2022 2:40PM