Building record MDR12637 - Matlock United Reformed Church, Chesterfield Road, Matlock Town
Type and Period (1)
- SUNDAY SCHOOL (Early 20th Century to Edwardian - 1901 AD to 1902 AD)
The Congregational Church at Matlock Bank was built in 1865 (see SMR 10094), and has an attached Sunday school. This school was erected in 1902 at a cost of £2,200. (1) There is a Sunday school situated here on the 3rd edition OS map. (2) A Sunday school associated with the Congregational Chapel at Matlock Bank (see SMR 10094) was built at the junction of Smedley Street and Chesterfield Road, following an appeal for funds in 1901. The roof of the church caught fire in 1969 and it had to be demolished. The schoolroom was registered for solemnizing marriages on 18 march 1971 and the certification granted to the former church was cancelled at the same time. On 3 September 1971 the small Sanctuary was re-dedicated for Worship. The Congregationalists and the United Reform Church merged in 1972. These worshippers finally vacated the site in 1990, when the linked with the Trinity Methodist Church on bank Road to become the Matlock Methodist and United Reformed Church (see SMR 10092). The former schoolroom building is still used as a place of worship. (3) Looking at modern OS mapping, the 'Matlock Methodist and United Reformed Church' is now the 'Matlock Methodist Church' (see SMR 10092), and this former school building is the 'Matlock United Reformed Church', indicating that the congregation has split once again . (4)
- <1> SDR21041 Bibliographic reference: Kelly, A L (ed.). 1912. Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire. p 333.
- <2> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR21079 *Internet Web Site: Andrews, A. 1996-2011. Matlock's Churches and Chapels. http://ds.dial.pipex.com/town/terrace/pd65/matlock/churches.htm#oth. Website viewed 16/02/2011.
- <4> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3039 6046 (30m by 23m)|
|Civil Parish||MATLOCK TOWN, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 10 2022 1:25PM