Building record MDR12641 - Former Primitive Methodist Chapel, Bank Road, Matlock Town
Type and Period (2)
- PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1865 AD to 1886 AD)
- PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1838 AD to 1838 AD)
The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel, built in 1838, on Matlock Bank. (1) There is a Primitive Methodist Chapel situated here on the 1st edition OS map. (2) The Primitive Methodist Chapel was built in 1865, at a cost of £716. It was enlarged and an organ loft and gallery added in 1886, at an outlay of £1,700, including the cost of the organ, £260. (3) There is a Primitive Methodist Chapel at Matlock Bank, which was built in 1865, and has 550 sittings. (4) The first Primitive Methodist Church to be built in Matlock was situated on Bank Road, just below the junction with Smedley Street and opposite to Smedley's Hydro boiler house. It was founded in 1838 and rebuilt in 1865 by John Wildgoose. It had been designed by James Kerridge of Wisbech. On 19 January 1875, the church was registered for solemnizing marriages. An associated Sunday school was built in 1878 and is situated adjacent to the church (see SMR 10099). (5) The Primitive Methodist congregation at Matlock was founded in 1838, although the current church on Bank Road, opposite the entrance to County Hall, was rebuilt in 1856 [sic]. The School Room below was added in 1878 (see SMR 10099). The gable-fronted buildings are typical of many chapels of that era and have the appearance of two chapels side by side. They incorporate a triangular pediment and rusticated pilasters with tall lancet windows and a high 'rose' window, a hybrid of gothic and classical architecture. (6) The building is not labelled as a place of worship on modern OS mapping . It appears to have been extended at the back. (7)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 430.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 419.
- <4> SDR21041 Bibliographic reference: Kelly, A L (ed.). 1912. Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire. p 333.
- <5> SDR21079 *Internet Web Site: Andrews, A. 1996-2011. Matlock's Churches and Chapels. http://ds.dial.pipex.com/town/terrace/pd65/matlock/churches.htm#oth. Website viewed 17/02/2011.
- <6> SDR21082 *Internet Web Site: Morris, M (Mel Morris Conservation). 2007. Matlock Bank Conservation Area Appraisal. Section 4, pp 24-5.
- <7> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3015 6060 (34m by 22m)|
|Civil Parish||MATLOCK TOWN, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 10 2022 1:25PM