Building record MDR12642 - Former Sunday School, Bank Road, Matlock Town

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

There is a Sunday School situated adjacent to the Primitive Methodist Chapel on Bank Road (see SMR 10098) on the 3rd edition OS map. (1) A School Room was added to the Primitive Methodist Church in 1878. The gable-fronted buildings are typical of many chapels of that era and have the appearance of two chapels side by side. They incorporate a triangular pediment and rusticated pilasters with tall lancet windows and a high 'rose' window, a hybrid of gothic and classical architecture. (2) A date stone indicates that the Sunday school was added to the former Primitive Methodist Church in 1878. It has now been adapted for residential use [2008]. (3)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <2> *Internet Web Site: Morris, M (Mel Morris Conservation). 2007. Matlock Bank Conservation Area Appraisal. pp 24-5.
  • <3> *Internet Web Site: Matlock Civic Association. 2008. Matlock Walking Trails 3 and 4: Matlock Bank Hydro Heritage Trails. www.matlock.gov.uk/files/matlock_town_trails_-_trail_3_and_trail_5.pdf. p 20.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 3013 6059 (23m by 20m)
Civil Parish MATLOCK TOWN, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Feb 12 2018 2:31PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.