Building record MDR12644 - Former United Methodist Church, Imperial Road, Matlock Town

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

There is a United Methodist Church and Sunday School situated here on the 3rd edition OS map. (1) There is a United Methodist Church at Matlock Bridge. (2) The former church in Imperial Road, next to what was the Town Hall bowling green, has not been used for religious purposes for quite a long time. It is now known as the Imperial Rooms and used as a community centre [?1996]. The church was registered for solemnizing marriages from May 1912 until February 1966, when the registration was cancelled. (3) At the bottom of the hill, on Imperial Road, stands the former United Methodist Free Church built in 1912 but closed in 1977. Along with the Sunday School and an extension between the two, it is now the Imperial Rooms, headquarters for Matlock Town Council, with rooms for community use on the same site as Matlock Town Hall. It was used as a magistrates court for a number of years. The church is essentially a late example of the Gothic Revival, with prominent reticulated traceried windows reminiscent of the Decorated style. The church has a tower, and its clay-tiled chunky steeple hints at an Arts and Crafts influence. Together with the Town Hall the combined site offers a medley of architectural styles, and although the setting of the buildings has been overtaken by large areas of car parking, the buildings themselves maintain a sense of their civic importance. (4)

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Kelly, A L (ed.). 1912. Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire. p 332.
  • <3> *Internet Web Site: Andrews, A. 1996-2011. Matlock's Churches and Chapels. http://ds.dial.pipex.com/town/terrace/pd65/matlock/churches.htm#oth. Website viewed 17/02/2011.
  • <4> *Internet Web Site: Morris, M (Mel Morris Conservation). 2007. Matlock Bank Conservation Area Appraisal. pp 25-6.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 2985 6035 (36m by 31m)
Civil Parish MATLOCK TOWN, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Feb 12 2018 2:32PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.