There is a Primitive Methodist Church situated here on the 3rd edition OS map. (1)
The Primitive Methodist Chapel at Starkholmes was erected in 1905 and was built in memory of Luke William Fox. George G Blackwell's name is on the foundation stone. The chapel seems to have replaced an earlier chapel at Ward's End (see SMR 30804). On the 21st February 1944 the Fox Memorial Chapel at Starkholmes was registered for solemnizing marriages but on 17 January 1995 the Registrar General cancelled the registration as the church was no longer used as a place of worship [?1996]. The building, opposite the Village Hall, has been converted into two homes. (2)
The building now on this site appears to have a different footprint to that on the 3rd edition OS map . A church window in the southern elevation indicates that at least some of the original church survives. (3-4)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
*Internet Web Site: Andrews, A. 1996-2011. Matlock's Churches and Chapels. http://ds.dial.pipex.com/town/terrace/pd65/matlock/churches.htm#oth. Website viewed 17/02/2011.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
*Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 17/02/2011.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3003 5904 (31m by 28m)
MATLOCK TOWN, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.