Monument record MDR1265 - Round Barrow, Manor House, Sheldon
Type and Period (3)
- CREMATION (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- INHUMATION (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
[SK 1692 6897] TUMULUS. (1). The nearer of the two large barrows (c. 300 yards apart) about half a mile from the village of Sheldon was excavated on the 6th May 1845. It had been previously opened and only fragments of two urns, flint flakes, burnt bones and charcoal, and a skeleton were found. (2). The field is ploughed but the round barrow stands about 5 ft high. It is a scheduled monument. (3,4). The barrow is situated in a small copse and has not been ploughed. Published survey (25") correct. (5). The mound is largely intact but has pits in the centre and to the east and north-west; these predate 1845? A slab to the west may be the vestige of a kerb. The disturbed unburnt bones found by Bateman represented an adult and a juvenille. The sherds were of unknown type. (9). The bowl barrow west of Manor House is situated on the limestone plateau of Derbyshire south of Wye Dale. The monument includes a roughly circular mound measuring 15m by 15.5m and standing c.1m high. In 1845, the barrow was partially excavated by Thomas Bateman who found fragments of two urns and the burnt remains of at least one cremation. In addition, a number of flints and the unburnt bones of one adult and one juvenile were also recovered. These remains indicate a Bronze Age date for the barrow. (12).
- <1> SDR12081 Map: 1955. OS 6".
- <2> SDR2903 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire. p60.
- <3> SDR7143 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1963. 'Scheduled Ancient Monuments in Derbyshire', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 83, pp 94-96. p95.
- <4> SDR735 Scheduling record: Ministry of Works. 1965. Ancient Monuments of England and Wales. 13356.
- <5> SDR6081 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 11-MAR-66.
- <6> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p86.
- <8> SDR9915 Index: NDAT. 1757. 1757.
- <9> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 6:2.
- <10> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 12403.1.
- <11> SDR10811 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Committee (NDAC). North Derbyshire Archaeological Committee Index. 1985: 1757.
- <12> SDR20303 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1993. Scheduling Notification: Bowl Barrow west of Manor House. Cat. No.: 167.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1692 6897 (25m by 25m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||SHELDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 29 2007 9:49AM