Skip to main content

Monument record MDR12659 - Icehouse (site of), Grangewood Hall, Netherseal

Type and Period (1)

  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

An icehouse is shown on late 19th century OS maps at the southern end of the fishpond in the park to the east of Grangewood Hall. It is depicted as an almost square structure with a smaller rectangular structure on its south side, presumably the entrance chamber. (1, 2) It appears to have been removed in the early 20th century, as it is not shown on the 3rd ed. OS map. It may have been demolished when a Pumping House was built, shown on that map just to the west of the icehouse site. (3)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).



Grid reference Centred SK 2814 1434 (11m by 11m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jan 16 2015 10:29AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.