Skip to main content

Monument record MDR12663 - Barrow Hall and associated outbuildings (site of), Hall Park, Barrow on Trent

Type and Period (3)

  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1717 AD? to 1900 AD)
  • (Tudor to Georgian - 1550 AD? to 1717 AD?)
  • (Tudor to Victorian - 1550 AD? to 1900 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

'Barrow Hall, a large stuccoed mansion, with a circular entrance-hall and staircase lighted from a dome top, the front overlooking the vale of the Trent, amidst neat shrubberies and pleasure grounds. It was built on the site of an ancient house, in 1808-9, by the late John Beaumont Esq….' (1) Barrow Hall was rebuilt in 1808, on the site of the old mansion, by John Beaumont Esq., and was purchased from that family about five years ago [ie c. 1890] by Mr James Eadie, Burton-on-Trent. (2) Barrow Hall was a very pleasing and elegant house in English baroque style, probably erected in c. 1717 and sensitively re-cased and altered internally in 1808-9. It was of seven by four bays, of two storeys under a hipped roof. The central three bays broke slightly forward, capped by a pediment sporting a cartouche of the arms of Beaumont over crossed palm fronds. Inside, the alterations left the house with a domed top-lit circular entrance hall with flying staircase of stone and iron baluster rail, the whole ensemble being described as "very fine". The majority of sources describe the house as new-built in 1808, but Bulmer (Authority 2 above) records it as a rebuilding. As various features suggest an earlier date than 1808, Bulmer is probably correct. A previous house may have been built in the mid-16th century, as Edward Beaumont settled at Barrow in c. 1550. This house appears to have been of modest size, having been taxed on eight hearths in 1664. The Beaumonts sold the later house to the Eadies in 1881; however, they had ceased to live there by the outbreak of World War II, when it became a home for evacuees. It lay largely empty thereafter and was burnt down in 1956. (3)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 249.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 706.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 1984. The Derbyshire Country House, Vol II. p 16.



Grid reference Centred SK 3536 2841 (101m by 56m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 30 2016 4:27PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.