Monument record MDR1267 - Round barrow, Ringham Low, Over Haddon
Type and Period (2)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
[SK 1694 6639] A low mound, about 14 yds across and a few inches high, a short distance east [sic] from Ringham Low [SMR 11419] in the direction of Ricklow Dale, was examined on 21st Jume 1855 but only two pieces of human skull were found. (2). TUMULUS. (Human Remains found). (3). TUMULUS. (4). Published survey (25") correct. (5). Ploughed down barrow south of the chambered cairn. Excavated by T Bateman on the 21st June 1855 revealed a disjointed skeleton, disturbed by the plough. (8). Not visited in 1988 - permission refused. This was excavated by T Bateman on the 17st March 1847 (not 21st June 1855 as stated above). The finds are stated above. Bateman gave the dimensions as 14 yds by 1 ft high. (10).
- <1> SDR2903 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire. p103.
- <2> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p96.
- <3> SDR11760 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1923. 6".
- <4> SDR11764 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <5> SDR6078 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 11-JAN-66.
- <6> SDR8270 Unpublished document: Lewis, G (University of Liverpool). 1970. The Bronze Age in the Southern Pennines. p572.
- <7> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p83.
- <8> SDR12246 Index: OS. SK 16 NE 6. SK 16 NE 6.
- <9> SDR9883 Index: NDAT. 1677. 1677.
- <10> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 8:1.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1693 6639 (13m by 14m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||OVER HADDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 1 2009 3:35PM