Sanderson's map of 1835 shows a group of buildings lying a little to the west of Wirksworth Road, Alton. They are named 'Hurst Fields' and assumed to represent a farm. (1)
Six separate small buildings are shown on the Tithe Map of 1843, the south-easternmost of which is assumed from its shape to be the farmhouse. (2) The farm was presumably demolished very shortly afterwards, as Alton Manor was constructed about 150m to the north-west in 1846/7 [see SMR 21510 for Alton Manor].
There is a reference to 'le Hurst' in 1298, to the 'hamelet de Hurst' in 1415 and to Hurstfeld in 1503, (3) suggesting that settlement in this area could have had medieval origins. (3)
Map: Sanderson, G. 1835. Twenty Miles round Mansfield.
Map: 1843. Map of the Township of Idridgehay and Allton in Two Parts [Tithe Map].
Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part III. English Place-Name Society, Vol. XXIX.. p 578.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2836 5089 (102m by 67m)
IDRIDGEHAY AND ALTON, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 9 2012 4:01PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.